High Energy Density Laboratory Plasmas (HEDLP) Program Objectives
- Support the U.S. scientific community by funding research projects at universities in the areas of fundamental science and technology of relevance to the Stockpile Stewardship Program, with a focus on those areas not supported by other federal agencies, and for which there is a recruiting need within the National Laboratories;
- Provide advanced research in the area of high energy density physics;
- Provide opportunities for intellectual challenge and collaboration by promoting scientific interactions between the academic community and scientists at the National Laboratories;
- Increase the availability of unique experimental facilities sited at the National Laboratories to the broader academic community, particularly for collaborations in areas of relevance to stockpile stewardship; and
- Develop and maintain a long-term recruiting pipeline to the National Laboratories by increasing the visibility of the NNSA scientific activities to the U.S. faculty and student communities.
Banner photo: Students from the University of Nevada, Reno align the laser-based plasma diagnostics system.