The FOIA and E-FOIA require that specific types of records as well as various other records be maintained in public reading facilities.
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Electronic Reading Room for the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA).
The FOIA requires certain kinds of documents to be made available to the public for inspection and copying. This is a requirement for agencies of the executive branch of the federal government.
The documents that are required to be made available by the FOIA are:
- Final Opinions [5 USC 552 (a)(2)](A) final opinions  (weblink) including concurring and dissenting opinions, as well as orders, made in the adjudication of cases. There are no site specific documents that meet this category at this time.
- Statements of Policy and Integration [5 USC 552 (a)(2)](B)  (weblink) those statements of policy and interpretation which have been adopted by the agency and are not published in the Federal Register. There are no site specific documents that meet this category at this time.
- Staff Manuals and Instructions that Affect the Public [5 USC 552 (a)(2)](C)  (weblink) administrative staff manuals and instructions to staff that affect a member of the public. There are no site specific documents that meet this category at this time.
- Records that have been Released in Response toMultiple Written Requests for Information under the FOIA or are likely to be requested again; and an index of the records. LINK FOR NNSA/SC RECORDS [5 USC 552 (a)(2)](D) copies of all records, regardless of form or format, which have been released to any person . . . and which, because of the nature of their subject matter, the agency determines have become or are likely to become the subject of subsequent requests for substantially the same record.
- Other Records of Interest  (weblink)
The NNSA Electronic Reading Room has these documents (Before 2000 , After 2000 ), special interest collections, and other documents that have been released in response to written requests for information under the FOIA. Records are maintained in accordance with schedules set by the National Archives and Records Administration and DOE directives. Generally, records are kept for a minimum of 2 years.
Before you submit a FOIA request, we recommend you contact or visit the appropriate public reading facility to determine if the records you are seeking have already been released. The DOE, as well as other DOE sites, has established a home page on the Internet with links to other Web Sites. If you determine a specific facility might have records in which you are interested, requests for those records can be made directly to the individual public reading facilities as identified below. Copying of records located in the public reading facilities must be made with the staff of those facilities.
The NNSA Service Center public reading room is located at the University of New Mexico, Government Information Department, Zimmerman Library, Albuquerque, NM, 87131-0001.
Hours of Operation
8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Friday
12:00 Noon to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday
The point-of-contact is Dan Barkley at the number listed below. Please note that summer hours may vary.
Phone: (505) 277-7180
FAX: (505) 277-4097
E-mail: email@example.com 
Public reading facilities are also established at the various NNSA sites. Please note that due to current national security concerns, efforts are underway to look at the nature of the documents that are available to the public. As a result of this effort and in the future, some documents may no longer be available to the public. The NNSA Service Center and some Site offices and public reading facilities are listed below:
Contact Sheila Jeter-White
Department of Energy
Office of Information of Information Resources
|NNSA Service Center
University of New Mexico
Government Information Department
DOE/NNSA FOIA Document Collection
Albuquerque, NM 87131
Mr. Dan Barkley (505) 277-7180
Indices of DOE/NNSA Documents located at http://elibrary.unm.edu/doe 
|Kansas City Site Office
Mid-Continent Public Library
The Blueridge Branch
9253 Blueridge Blvd
Kansas City, MO 64138
Ms. Geri Haile (816) 761-3382
|Livermore Site Office
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Attn: John Bellurado
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Attn: Scott Wilson, Reading Room
P.O. Box 808, L-797
Livermore, CA 94551
|Los Alamos Site Office
Community Relations Public Reading Room
Los Alamos, NM 87544
Ms. Linda Anderman (800) 508-4400
|Nevada Site Office|
Nevada Site Office
Public Reading Facility
P.O. Box 98521
Las Vegas, NV 89193-8521
Shipping Address: 755 C. East Flamingo Road, Room 103
Las Vegas, NV 89119
Contact: Jeff Gordon
|Pantex Site Office
DOE/NNSA Reading Room
Lynn Library/Learning Center
P. O. Box 447
Amarillo, TX 79178
Ms. Karen MacIntosh (806) 371-5419
Indices of DOE/NNSA documents located at Lucille King Lynn Library
|Sandia Site Office
DOE/NNSA Reading Room
Sandia National Laboratories/California
7011 East Avenue, Building 911
Livermore, CA 94551
|Savannah River Site Office
Public Reading Room
University of South Carolina
471 University Parkway
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
Mr. Paul Lewis
|Y-12 Site Office|
Contact the Public Affairs Officer at the Y-12 Site Offi