In keeping with NNSA’s commitment to improving the way it does business, being more efficient with energy and water resources, while being responsible to the environment, NNSA today congratulated its sites and labs for receiving the 2012 DOE Sustainability Awards.
Department of Energy Deputy Secretary Daniel Poneman said that sustainability award winners are leading by example, showing what’s possible when employees bring creativity, innovation, and dedication to their efforts to make DOE more sustainable.
In addition to NNSA improving its way of doing business through sustainability, benefits accrue to efforts not typically thought of as sustainability related, such as improving safety and health and saving money.
NNSA and Environment Management recipients of DOE’s Sustainability Awards are as follows (laboratory/site, title and employees):
- Los Alamos National Laboratory: Ronnie Garcia – Master of Minimization (Ronnie Garcia)
- Pantex: Implementing Sustainability at the Pantex Firing Range (Janice Clark, Michael James, Gary Moore, Jared Brown, David Pierce, Gene Ferris, Bill Cover, Jennifer Simms, Joe Grzelakowski, Mike Lowery, Ray Darwin, David Sanchez, Debbie McLaughlin, and William A. Morgan)
- Sandia National Laboratories: Server Virtualization at SNL/NM – Life Cycle Improvement (Laura Lenberg, Ray Garcia, Joseph Maestas, Phil Kuhlman, Scott Rogers, Phil Cox, Kelly Rogers, and John Zepper)
- Savannah River Site: SRS Biomass Steam and Co-generation Project (Steve Hamlett, James DeMass, Teresa Tomac, Mary-Ellen Noone, Augie Maniez, and Donell Jenkins; SRNS: Richard Hopkins, Buford Beavers, Lynn Mouring, Joe Black, and David Wolfe; Ameresco: Nicole Bulgarino, Ken Chacey, Victor Skalak, and Clinton Sandmel)
- Savannah River Site: SRS Moving Beyond Pump and Treat for cVOC Remediation (M. Phillip Prater; SRNS: Brian D. Riha, Brian B. Looney, Jay V. Noonkester, W. Keith Hyde, Gerald C. Blount, and Alvin G. Morrow)
- Savannah River Site: SRS - An Innovative Approach for In-Situ Detection of Mercury in Soils and Sediments (Ann Thomas; Dennis G. Jackson, Carol Eddy-Dilek, Brian B. Looney and Warren (Keith) Hyde, Carrie Miller and Eric Pierce)
- Y-12 National Security Complex: Reaching Beyond – Y-12 Sustainability Outreach (Darrel Kohlhorst, Ken Ivey, Jim Donnelly, Bob Warther, Steve Little, Paul Wasilko, Jan Jackson, Amy Alley, Ellen Boatner, Alice Brandon, and David Keim)
- Y-12 National Security Complex: Y-12 Targeted Excess Materials (TEM) Program Pursues Sustainable Disposition Paths (Sam Brown, Steve Buffalo, Nathan Cole, Pam Davis, James Donnelly, Dartis Francis, Terry Ferguson, Max Galyon, Tafonda Griffin, Chuck Heatherly, Jan Jackson, Kyle Leinhans, Diane McDaniel, Rich Meehan, Larry Osborne, Bernard Phifer, Rose Reich, Harvey Rice, Bill Rogerson, Blake Scott, Kenny Self, Ben Watts, and Jeanette Widman)