The NNSA Livermore Field Office (LFO) is located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) in Livermore, California. Currently, the Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC is under contract with the Department of Energy for the management and operation of LLNL. The LFO is responsible for administering this contract. Additionally, LFO promotes national nuclear safety, executes assigned NNSA and Department of Energy programs, and conducts oversight of work performed by industrial contractors and grantees in support of NNSA and Department of Energy requirements and priorities. Major LFO functions include, but are not limited to:
Executes program integration and implementation:
- Manages field implementation of NNSA and Department of Energy programs on-site;
- Reviews and approves Work for Other (WFO) agreements, Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADA), and Joint Work Statements (JWS) with industry/other partners as proposed by the M&O contractor;
- Manages construction project, infrastructure, and surplus facility activities at Livermore.
Oversees M&O contractor operations:
- Ensures adequate safety, security, and control of nuclear explosives and weapons components;
- Conducts nuclear safety, criticality safety, safety systems design, and natural phenomenon programmatic verifications and assesses LLNL performance in these areas;
- Ensures establishment and implementation of Integrated Safety and Safeguards and Security Management Systems (ISSMS) at LLNL;
- Manages the environmental planning, compliance, monitoring, and permitting for Livermore;
- Ensures systems are in place to protect the public, workers, and the environment within nuclear, high explosive, biological, and moderate chemical hazard facilities;
- Responsible for all waste and materials transportation on-site at LLNL or shipments originating from LLNL;
- Documents, oversees, maintains, and verifies the nuclear facility safety basis and authorization documents for Livermore;
- Maintains operational awareness of safeguards and security activities at Livermore;
- Manages the classification and declassification programs.