The international safeguards and security system is being challenged by evolving proliferation and terrorism threats, expanding International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) responsibilities, a retiring safeguards workforce, and the need for better technologies to detect and deter proliferation, theft, and sabotage.
The Office of Nuclear Safeguards and Security revitalizes, strengthens, and sustains U.S. and international safeguards and security capabilities through the Next Generation Safeguards Initiative (NGSI) and International Nuclear Security programs.
Specific subprogram activities include:
- Supporting the development of safeguards and security policies, concepts, and approaches.
- Developing the next generation of safeguards and security experts through training and education.
- Developing and implementing new safeguards systems, technologies, and infrastructure.
- Supporting nuclear infrastructure development that emphasizes safeguards and security.
- Implementing U.S. safeguards obligations (VOA/AP).
- Strengthening the security of nuclear materials and facilities worldwide.